School Counseling Department
- Full time college counselor and part time financial aid advisor work with students and families on college selection, admission requirements, application procedures, and financial aid.
- A student/counselor ratio which is significantly more favorable than what the state requires and better than that of most other schools.
- An active and effective tutoring program involving over 400 students giving and receiving one-on-one tutoring.
- A proactive substance issues program that includes parent and peer support groups, a link with local professionals, and a student needs-centered substance policy.
- Students are assigned a school counselor for their entire high school tenure ensuring consistency of services and credibility of the student/guidance counselor relationship.
How the Program Functions
All students are assigned a personal school counselor each year. College counselors enhance the personal school counselor’s work beginning in sophomore year with the greater portion of senior year guidance counseling done by the college counselor. Substance Abuse Groups
With an emphasis on PREVENTION, SJJ provides a variety of substance abuse related services which include:
- Youth to Youth "Titan Pride"
- Post-Prom Activities
- Faculty and Staff Training
- Parent Education
- Crisis Intervention
Each student connects with his school counselor on a quarterly basis, both individually and in small groups. Additional meetings are welcomed and encouraged.
Currently, several groups are actively dealing with personal and academic issues that members have in common. Participation is voluntary and confidential. These support groups include
- Anger and social management
- Transfer students
- ADD and ADHD
- High Risk
- Drug and Alcohol
- Bullying and Mediation
Monitoring Student’s Progress
School counselors continually monitor student progress. Seven areas given specific attention are:
- Classroom progress-both academic and behavioral
- Social comfort and interpersonal skills
- Teacher/student relationships
- Study skills
- College preparation issues including standardized college admissions test preparation and performance including the PSAT, PLAN, the SAT and ACT.
- Extra and co-curricular activities
- Scheduling and course selection
The school counseling department seeks to strengthen and perpetuate strong faith beliefs and to stabilize those moral and ethical guidelines essential to being a "Man for Others."
St. John’s Jesuit High School Activities
On-going services for the current academic calendar:
- College guidance newsletter
- Academic/personal/crisis/career/college counseling
- Tutoring Center
- Peer mediation/conflict resolution
- Staff consultation
- Parent consultation
- Student Assistance Team (SAT)
- Computer-assisted college and career exploration
- Services for students with disabilities
- Collaboration with Assistnt Principal of Discpline